Please review our FAQs for our horseback riding tours on the Gettysburg Battlefield. If you still have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to assist you.
DO I NEED PREVIOUS RIDING EXPERIENCE?
- Not at all! Our rides are thoroughly enjoyable whether you have zero or extensive horseback riding experience.
If this is your first time riding, we are honored to introduce you to the beauty, grace, power, and wonder of the horse.
WHAT ABOUT THE WEATHER?
- We ride rain or shine! However, rides will be canceled in cases of extreme weather (excessive heat, cold, rain, wind, or lightning) that may pose a health or safety risk to either riders or horses. If rides are canceled in advance, we will make every attempt to contact you using the information you provided when you made your reservation. If we cancel your ride due to weather conditions, before the ride has started, we will automatically refund your full tour price. If we cancel your ride in the middle of the tour, we will automatically refund you the price for the remaining time portion.
WHAT ARE THE RIDING RESTRICTIONS?
- Age: Riders must be age 7 or older as riders are required to ride their own horse. No double riding.
Riders age 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or over).
Riders age 16 or 17 may ride alone with an adult’s signature of approval on their waivers.
Weight: All riders must weigh under 210 pounds. (Click here for our Weight Policy)
Health: Reasonably good health and ability to mount a horse are required.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? WHAT ABOUT A HELMET?
- Head-gear: Helmets are required for all riders age 8 to 17. Riders age 18 and older may decline a helmet when signing a waiver.
Attire: Close-toed shoes are required; open-toed shoes and sandals are prohibited. Long pants are recommended for rider comfort, but are not required.
WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
- Once purchased, rides are non-refundable. We apologize for any inconvenience. However, we thank you for your understanding in that your reservation is being held specifically for you.
DO I NEED TO SIGN A WAIVER?
- A liability waiver/release form must be completed for all riders prior to the start of their ride. Feel free to print the waivers off of our website and bring the completed forms with you when you check in for your ride, or we will be more than happy to provide you with waivers at the barn office upon check-in. (Click here for our waiver)
HOW DO I CHECK IN FOR MY RIDE?
- Please arrive at the National Riding Stables office promptly 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your ride to complete check-in procedures. Please use the restroom prior to checking in for your ride. You MUST be checked in and ready to ride 30 minutes prior to the start of the tour. We are required by insurance standards to give all riders a demonstration prior to mounting the horse. If riders arrive late, they will miss the demonstration, thus they will not be allowed to partake in the tour. Should this occur, we will make every attempt to reschedule your ride for a later date, however this is not a guarantee. Refunds will not be issued in the event of a late arrival.
IS TIPPING CUSTOMARY?
- Tips for either the wranglers or the Licensed Battlefield Guides are not required. However, our guides and wranglers work very hard to make sure that each rider has an exceptional personal experience. If they have succeeded, your tips are warmly appreciated.
WHERE CAN I LEAVE FEEDBACK ABOUT THE TOUR?
- If the National Riding Stables has succeeded in providing you with an excellent experience, please take a moment to review us at one of the following:
- If for any reason your experience is unsatisfactory, please let us know, either personally or by writing to us at NationalRidingStables@yahoo.com. We will make every endeavor to respond personally to your comments, concerns, and suggestions.